BARNABY JONES "Dead Heat" (TV episode)
- 1/1/1976. Thursday, 10 pm. 1 hour.
- CBS. Season 4 of 8. Episode 76.
- Detective drama.
- Code: BJDH 1/1976
- America's favorite to win an Olympic gold medal in swimming dies under mysterious circumstances and his coach calls in Barnaby to head off a major sports scandal.
- Writer: Larry Alexander.
- Director: Walter Grauman.
- Buddy Ebsen as Barnaby Jones
- Lee Meriwether as Betty Jones
- Pat Hingle
- Andrew Parks
- Jacqueline Scott
- Lou Frizzell
- Jonathan Banks as Vince Gentry, newspaper sports reporter interviewing the swimmer at the time of his death. Listed 11th of 12.
- Vince is mildly sarcastic, not impressed with the swimmer while he interviews him, but concerned when he's not well. He helps to pull him out of the pool.
- JB does a trademark gesture of his, wiping his hand across his mouth, for the first time here to show Vinces distress when the swimmer is ill.
- Great 70s style here-- long sideburns, flashy plaid jacket with wide lapels, wide tie, and flared trousers.
- "Yeah, well, the kid sure knows how to make the headlines."
- 44 seconds in 2 scenes, at the start of the episode.
- Buddy Ebsen (BJDD 2/1977)
- Lee Meriwether (BJDD 2/1977)